The American Tibetan Medical Association, Inc. (ATMA) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization exclusively dedicated to the promotion and preservation of Tibetan medicine. ATMA is the leading self-regulatory body for the practice of Tibetan Medicine/Sowa Rigpa in North America. We are a member-led organization governed by an elected Board of Directors.
- To establish and maintain standards of education, ethics, professional competency, and licensing.
- To maintain the Tibetan medical field as a separate and distinct healing profession.
- To serve as a representative membership organization of the Tibetan medical profession in North America.
- To establish and maintain desirable relationships within the Tibetan medical profession, other professions, organizations, governmental agencies, research institutions and all reputable groups with compatible purposes.
- To affect public policy and legislation and all matters pertaining to Tibetan medicine.
- To support the establishment of licensing for the practice of Tibetan medicine.
- To develop, participate in, conduct and support medical research programs consistent with Tibetan medicine ethics and principles.
ATMA Board of Directors
- Menpa* Anasuya Weil, M.S., President
- Menpa* Yangdron Kalzang, Secretary
- Menpa* Phuntsog Wangmo, Treasurer
- Menpa* Tawni Tidwell, Ph.D., Director
- Menpa* Namgyal Qusar, Director
- Menpa* Yangbum Gyal, Director
ATMA Advisory Board
- Kyabgon Phakchok Rinpoche
- Daniel Goleman, Ph.D.
- Thomas Lesser, Esq.
- Lama Surya Das
- Tulku Thondup
- Menpa* Lhajegang Tseten Namgyal
* Menpa = Doctor, in the Tibetan language